This page provides an overview of the Order Management System (OMS) order flow.
We provide a common use case for an OMS order flow, however this is not a comprehensive or precise list. Each customer may have different order flows, depending on their settings and specifications.
Order Flow Basics
The OMS order flow:
- Moves chronologically.
- Cannot be reverted (go backward to undo, then move forward again).
- Moves through a series of stages, as shown in the use case and diagram below.
- Includes Order status, Order status reason, and Order line statuses (New, Cancel, Resourced, Shipped, etc.)
This use case and diagram below enumerate the flow an order goes through in your OMS, including order flow statuses, configuration settings, and other settings:
- Backorders are enabled.
- Stock Management is enabled.
- Pre-orders are disabled.
- Order approval touchpoint is enabled.
- Orders have one order line.
- The shipment method is the common implementation for a Home delivery.
- Products have stock in both source and aggregate.
Order Flow Diagram
The following diagram, illustrating our specified use case, shows these stages:
|When an order is created and arrives in your OMS, the order status is New.
|A series of validations that the order goes through. The order status is Received.
|During these two stages, soft and hard allocation, the order goes through another series of validations. The order status is On Hold.
|This validation pauses the order in an
ON_HOLD status when an external provider (or merchant) approval is required to continue the normal flow. This occurs between the soft and hard allocation stages.
|Allows an order to be cancelled before any payment is captured. The order status is On Hold.
|This stage can happen either before or after shipment. Payments are captured, and the main order status is On Hold until the payment is confirmed.
|The delivery process of the order, after the shipment request is confirmed. The order status changes to Logistics.
|Different actions performed once the shipment is complete. The order status is LOGISTICS_COMPLETE.
Click and navigate to other topics within this diagram for more information.
Click to expand and zoom the diagram. You may also click links within the diagram for more info.