The Order Management System (OMS) needs only basic catalog information in order to be able to process orders correctly. The OMS is not the source of truth for product information and should not be used in this way - a PIM, whether it be a dedicated PIM or the PIM functionality built into Magento Commerce (MC) is a more suitable tool to use.
The OMS does not have a repository for product information (meaning the API’s can not be used to query product or catalogue information).
Catalog information pushed into the OMS is used as a cache of product data which will be used for the OMS to make sourcing decisions and/or provide further product information within the OMS. This data can be uploaded into the OMS via two ways:
- By pushing the
updatedmessage into OMS via the API end point
- Manual creation of items in Admin. See Items section below.
It is possible to add services for an order or an specific order line. See Services page for more information.
The page offers a list of items by:
- Item style code: this is the main customer facing identifier for an item. This is usually a searchable field in the web store and is used in order documentation. This field is a link that if gives you all the item details, options and warehouse data. Additionally, you can edit the item and/or add new options.
- Item client code: This will most likely be identical to the style code. It allows an alternative client item identifier where needed but won’t have relevance outside of reports.
- Item Name
- Item Type
- Item Options: see next section below.
Item Details and Options
As it was said before, you can create a new item by pressing the “Create an Item” button.Then you have to indicate:
- item name
- client code
- style code
- physical: normal physical products with stock
- shipping: shipping type (for example: standard or express)
- service: services such as gift wrap, engraving, hemming etc. and can be linked to an order line (masterlineid) or with the order.
- virtual: non-physical products
- active: Yes or No.
Finally, you can filter this list by client code, style code, name or type and you can order the columns by pressing the column title.
This page offers a list of item options by:
Item style code. As explained before, this field is a link that gives you the item and option details. The option information is the following:
- Option SKU: This is the customer visible SKU or real SKU. Typically it is actually the same as the client SKU. However in some cases clients allocate their own identifiers which are not the real SKUs, e.g. when they define items in their systems before real SKUs are allocated.
- Option client SKU
- Deleted: Yes or No
- Status: Active o Inactive
- Allow backorders: if there is no stock you can accept the order and keep it like a backorder.
- Stock Amount
- Warehouse data
- Item option - client SKU: it is the client defined identifier for an item variant. It should normally be used to identify items in all feeds and will be the most important identifier for clients in reports.
- Status: active or inactive
- Type:physical, service, virtual or shipping
- Option attributes
Finally, you can filter this list by item style code, option client SKU, name, status or type and you can order the columns by pressing the column title.